Monday, August 9, 2010

Knitting in Pieces or Going to Pieces?

Why would you knit a sweater in pieces and seam them together, when it can be knit in one piece? I am helping out an elderly friend from England, who knits the traditional way, I think that means, like it has always been done. She was in the middle of a short sleeved sweater and got stuck on the instruction for the front. The pattern is quite a bit older, but still cute. It is knit in pieces. Knit from the bottom up and shaping for a raglan sweater. Interesting, I figured it out and knit it for her and feel sorry she has to sew all those pieces together.
I'm going to write a pattern for the same sweater, only in one piece from the top down. It's a cute sweater, but sewing raglan pieces together? Let's see how it turns out.

2 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

After knitting your one-piece designs, I'll never go back! Who wants extra work?

Erin said...

Hey Mary!!!! I like the new look of your blog. I, too, have been thinking about vests. :) Will want to see your book for sure. I miss you!!!!! Where does the time go? School is starting and we never got together this summer. grrrrr. :)