Thursday, September 25, 2008

School Teacher Needs Therapy

I'll admit, there are days when I wonder what the heck I was thinking when I embarked on a career of teaching junior high. There has to be an easier way to earn a living than this? The deep down and honest truth is, I love it. It's one of those love/hate relationships, you love it, but there are parts you hate. I've taught junior high for 27 years and am facing retirement some day and don't know if I want that to happen. I love teaching and even more, I love this age group.
I teach Health, and if that isn't an interesting subject to teach to a bunch of over active, hormonal, diarrhea of the mouth, insecure and wonderful kids, I don't know what is.
Try teaching Sex Ed. to this age group and wonder why at the end of the day you feel a little crazy.
My one form of relaxation and "therapy" is my knitting. I curl up on the couch with my knitting needles and yarn and my hands cradle the sweater I'm knitting and my fingers take off as if on auto pilot. Thoughts of the day melt out of my mind and problems that linger are somehow solved as I knit and think and the two together seem to find answers for them. It's as if I'm weaving a solution in my mind as I wrap the yarn and knit row after row. My knitting increases and my patience and relaxation seem to follow the same pattern.
So maybe I don't need therapy as long as I have my knitting.

No comments: